“Consumer Law” is a very broad subject including issues about warranties, sales, lending, housing, real estate, contracts, defective services and injuries from defective products. I have experience with many types of consumer protection arbitrations and lawsuits for businesses and individual consumers including for example:
- premises liability claims involving land and real property, personal injuries, crimes and inadequate security
- lawsuits against apartment projects and mobile home parks for nuisances, inadequate maintenance or billing practices, for court-ordered installation of security devices, and monetary damages
- claims against creditors and debt-collection agencies pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- suits against predatory lenders such as car dealers, “payday lenders” or others, for failure to comply with the Truth in Lending Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act or other consumer-protection statutes
- suits against home and vehicle service companies for refusing to honor their consumer warranty contracts
- suits against realtors and mortgage brokers for deceptive or fraudulent real estate schemes
- lawsuits and arbitrations against telephone, TV and other utility companies or service providers for abusive billing practices and false advertising
- “lemon law” claims
The New Mexico Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau each administer a consumer complaint program whereby the agency will contact a business for a customer and request an explanation. If possible, the agency will mediate a resolution to the dispute. For many types of consumer complaints, it can be very helpful to attempt a resolution through these agencies before contacting a private attorney. Large amounts of information are readily available on the internet regarding consumer protection issues and the remedies available for common consumer problems.
If you or your business are being picked on by abusive customers with frivolous complaints, or if you have been taken advantage of by an unscrupulous business, Call Santa Fe Attorney Childress at 505-433-9823.